Love is in the air. Self-love that is.
Whether this is your first single Valentine’s day or if you are a veteran at requesting a table for one, here are twenty reasons to celebrate being single this 14th of February:
1. Sleeping diagonal in your bed. You can take up as much space as you want.
2. Calling your own shots. You learn the power behind your own decisions.
3. Going to the movies alone. Picking the movie you want to see and not having to share the popcorn is a beautiful thing.
4. You can go to bed as early or as late as you want. You are on no one else’s clock.
5. You can eat whatever you crave whenever you want. Table for one with a book? Yes please.
6. You can buy what you want. You don’t have to ask for forgiveness or permission.
7. You get to date yourself. You get to listen to whatever you want to do in your free time.
8. You can travel. You can grow your own bucket list and be empowered to do it on your own.
9. You have complete control over the thermostat.
10. You never have to clear your browsing history.
11. You have inner peace.
12. You can listen to the music you love without judgement.
13. No judgement. Period.
14. You know there is strength in not settling.
15. You get the remote. The bed. The closet. The spaces to call your own.
16. You have time to work on yourself. You have time for self-discovery and therapy and finding your own passions.
17. You can stand on your own heels.
18. You are in charge of your own happiness and your own freedom.
19. You can see life for all of its hope and beauty.
20. You surround yourself with positive people that you adore. You realize the value of your time and who you spend it with. You realize your friends can, in fact, be your soulmates.
And this is just the start of the celebration. Own your independence, embrace your life and envision what you want and go after it. There should be no shame or stigma in being solo and being complete, happy and healthy on your own. One of the best compliments I have ever heard was from my father about my mother, “I fell in love with her because she was a whole woman.” So instead of striving to find someone to complete us, let’s strive for our own wholeness. And if someone comes along that makes us want to make space in our full lives to let them in, we will be ready for it, standards and dreams high. And if not, that is okay too. It may take some time but you realize that there is peace and hope on either path. And either way, we are enough, exactly as we are. We’ve got this.
Happy Valentine’s Day-
Katie has a new book out that is a collection of quotes and mic drops to embrace your inner warrior. “Girl Power” is available now on Amazon and is the perfect gift for all the warriors in your world. You can find out more details and book signing info on her instagram @katieyackleymoore. Endless thanks for reading. Xo
Katie Yackley Moore is a freelance writer, real estate agent, yoga instructor and a momma of four navigating life and a separation and finding herself in the process. She adores coffee shops, laughing until it hurts and impromptu dance parties. Her work has appeared on Scary Mommy, Mamalode and HuffPost Parents. She has published a journal entitled “Dream a Bigger Dream” and the children’s books “You Are a Warrior” and “We are Family” and just finished her first novel. Catch up with her between tea breaks at The Naked Mommaand on Facebook.