Every year, my closest friends from home that I have loved for over twenty years and I escape our daily lives and spend three nights at one of my friend’s family homes on the Jersey Shore. It is bliss. Today is Wednesday and I am still basking in the glow of how therapeutic it felt to laugh for hours on end. I think girls getaways should be the required homework of motherhood. You come back with a spirit renewed. And if that isn’t reason enough, here is a list of 29 reasons why.
- You deserve it.
- You picked slime out of a child’s hair this morning.
- You don’t remember the last time you completed a thought.
- You forget what it feels like to be called anything other than MMMMmmmoooommmmm.
- The beach is a completely different experience without children. Like they probably shouldn’t even be called the same thing. When you are with your girlfriends you maybe should refer to it as “La Playa.”
- Everything is a completely different experience without children. Restaurants, shopping, sleeping uninterrupted… it doesn’t matter where you go, it just matters that you go.
- Lattes. Coffee shops. Brunch.
- The current scent of your car can best described as “science experience gone wrong.”
- There are still four weeks of summer left.
- Priceless therapy.
- The last time you laughed out loud was when you pretended to during a group text. The last time you really laughed was during a Kung Fu Panda movie.
- You are able to walk in public without having to do a headcount.
- Slumber parties. Sushi. Sisterhood.
- The only things you really need to pack are… well… anything you want. YOU ONLY HAVE TO PACK FOR YOU.
- You catch yourself singing the Doc McStuffins theme song in the shower.
- You forget how much fun it is to get ready with girlfriends.
- You only have to clean up after yourself. And you make approximately one gazillion times less of a mess than your children.
- You don’t have to read a children’s menu aloud to anyone.
- You can read. An actual book. Or an actual magazine. Cover to cover. Like a boss.
- You can take a nap.
- You can actually see the steam rising on your food and can eat it while it is still at that temperature.
- You can have deep chats.
- You can carry a purse smaller than your head.
- You can break out a pair of heels. Or a pair of yoga pants. There is no judgement.
- You can listen. Really listen. To who your tribe is. To who you have become.
- You have the best friends in the world and your lives are infinitely richer for having each other. A love like that deserves to be celebrated.
- It is a beautiful thing to have a moment to miss your kids. And to have them miss you.
- You deserve it.
So go ahead. Talk/text/send a bat signal to your girlfriends. The time is now to reconnect to the person and people that can buried under the weight of day to day life. It is a beautiful weight but sometimes we all need to take a moment to have it lifted. Let the mom guilt go, you don’t need to justify this. You will come back a better mother and human.
And you owe that to your children. You owe it to you.
To read more blogs by Katie Moore click here.
Katie Yackley Moore is a freelance writer, yoga instructor and a momma of four navigating life and a separation and finding herself in the process. She adores coffee shops, laughing until it hurts and impromptu dance parties. Her work has appeared on Scary Mommy, Mamalode and HuffPost Parents. She has published a journal entitled “Dream a Bigger Dream” and the children’s books “You Are a Warrior” and “We are Family” and just finished her first novel. Catch up with her between tea breaks at The Naked Momma and on Facebook.