Finding time to spend together during the holidays is not always easy for parents, but there are plenty of great date ideas during this festive season.
Even with six kids, Mike and Christine Rogers set aside time to spend as a couple during the holidays. One of the Annapolis couple’s favorite holiday date spots is Snowflake Alley in historic downtown Annapolis.
Last year, they took an evening to stroll through the alleyway that connects Main Street and Maryland Avenue and is illuminated with dozens of lit snowflakes dangling overhead. Then they had dinner at one of the restaurants nearby.
“I love the feel of the holiday season that I get when downtown,” Christine Rogers says. “Taking a cute picture at Snow Flake Alley just adds to that feeling.”
If you can find the time, here are four festive date ideas to help you connect during this busy time of year.
Stroll under the snowflakes
As the Rogers have found, Snowflake Alley is perfect for a romantic walk and close to many spots for a bite to eat.
“Snowflake Alley is a truly unique tradition,” says Shellie Reed, executive director of Downtown Annapolis Partnership, which sets up the display. “It brings people together in our community. … It also gives them a very memorable experience.”
To warm up after the walk, couples can head over to nearby Galway Bay Irish Restaurant, where they can taste the Authentic Irish Egg Nog and enjoy some genuine Irish cuisine. Another option is The Red Bean coffee shop where couples can warm up over a cup of handmade Mexican Hot Chocolate complete with chipotle chilis and cinnamon.
Head downtown for Midnight Madness on Dec. 1 and 8 and for Eleventh Hour on Dec. 15 when many shops stay open until midnight and there are extra activities and entertainment.
Snowflake Alley: connects Main Street and Francis Street, which leads to Maryland Avenue, between 168 and 170 Main St., Annapolis. downtownannapolispartnership.org/midnight-madness
Galway Bay, 63 Maryland Ave., Annapolis; 410-263-8333, galwaybaymd.com
The Red Bean, 220 Main St., Annapolis; 410-263-1700, theredbeanannapolis.com
Photo by Steinbrook Photography
Create on a date
If baking or decorating confections is your passion, check out Cake Artista’s Cake Date, where couples can create tasty holiday treats together.
Sandie and Toni Torres, sisters and owners of Cake Artista, love helping relationships grow.
“Doing something together really builds relationships and brings people together,” Sandie Torres says. “That’s what our date night classes do.”
Couples can schedule a night at Cake Artista on their own or sign up for a themed class.
$25 per person. 8 Mayo Road, Edgewater; 410-956-0100, cakeartista.com
Catch a show
Ballets, concerts and dinner theater productions are plentiful during the holiday season and all make the perfect date. Here are just a few to consider.
- Handel’s “Messiah” presented by Concert Artists of Baltimore Symphonic Chorale – Dec. 2 and Dec. 4 at the Joseph Meyerhoff Symphony Hall, 1212 Cathedral St., Baltimore. 410-783-8100, bsomusic.org
- “The Nutcracker” presented by Ballet Theatre of Maryland – Dec. 10-11, 17-18 at Maryland Hall for the Creative Arts, 801 Chase St., Annapolis. 410-263-5544, marylandhall.org.
- “A Christmas Carol” – Nov. 17-Jan. 8 at Toby’s Dinner & Show, 5900 Symphony Woods Road, Columbia. 410-730-8311, tobysdinnertheatre.com
Go ice skating
We might not have New York City’s Rockefeller Center for a romantic holiday skate date, but there are several outdoor ice rinks in the area that come close. If you want to hit the ice and enjoy the open air with your other half, here are a few to try. Be sure to check the websites for hours and admission before heading out.
- Glen Burnie Ice Rink – 103 Crain Highway, N., Glen Burnie. November-March. 410-590-5990, glenburnieiceskating.com
- Quiet Waters Park Ice Rink – 600 Quiet Waters Park Road, Annapolis. November-March. Cash or check only. 410-222-1777, aacounty.org/services-and-programs/ice-skating-at-quiet-waters-park
- Symphony of Lights Ice Rink – Corner of Little Patuxent and Broken Land parkways, Columbia. November-January. 410-740-7666, hcgh.org/symphonyoflights
- Pandora Ice Rink at Baltimore’s Inner Harbor ‑ Top of the Amphitheater, 201 E. Pratt St., Baltimore. Innerharboricerink.org.
- Washington Harbour Ice Rink – 3050 K St., NW, Washington, D.C. November-March. 202-295-5007, thewashingtonharbour.com/ice-skating
- National Gallery of Art Ice Rink – National Mall between 7th and 9th Streets along Contitution Avenue NW. nga.gov/content/ngaweb/visit/ice-rink.html
By Amanda Danaher