Looking for a spot in the Baltimore/Annapolis area to go for a brisk walk with your baby to help burn off some of those holiday calories or baby fat? This time of year the key is finding an indoor spot to stroll.
Luckily, there are plenty of spots in the area from malls to skating rinks to indoor tracks where you can stroll out of the cold. Here are just a few of them:
- Westfield Annapolis — This mall gets high ratings from our Facebook fans and Karen Davis, owner of Fit4Mom Annapolis. It opens at 7 a.m. for mall walkers daily and is all on one level. One time around the perimeter of the mall equals a 1.4 miles. “Just a few laps will give you a great workout,” Davis says. “It’s a great place to stroll with kids because there is always music playing and so much for them to look at while you’re walking.”
- Arundel Mills, Hanover — This mall is also on one floor and is a big loop that totals a mile. It has wide halls and also opens at 7 a.m. every morning for walkers. They key is to get there early before the crowds arrive.
- The Mall in Columbia — You can walk from one end of this two-floor mall to the other then take the elevator up and head back for a change of scenery. The mall opens at 6 a.m. every day, so you can get in a workout with your early rising tot before heading off to work.
- Pip Moyer Community Recreation Center, Annapolis — Pip Moyer has an indoor, elevated, four lane walking/jogging track that is open to those pushing strollers daily when the center is open. Hours are Monday-Thursday, 6 a.m.-9 p.m.; Friday, 6 a.m.-8 p.m.; Saturday, 8 a.m.-6 p.m. and Sunday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Drop in fees are $8 for Annapolis residents and $10 for non-residents. Memberships are also available.
- Skate Zone, Crofton — Strollers are welcome Mondays from 10 a.m.-noon when the rink holds a Tot Rock-n-Roll. The rink is open at this time to kids younger than 6 who can bring ride-on toys to use in the rink. Moms with strollers often walk around the rink at this time. Admission is $5.
For fun indoor playgrounds and play spaces click here.