Apple Zeppole with Cinnamon Whipped Cream
* 1 large apple, peeled and grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 1 stick butter
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup water
* 1 cup flour
* 4 eggs
* 1 cup whipping cream
* 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar, plus more for dusting
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* Olive oil for frying
1. In medium saucepan, combine butter, salt, sugar and water over medium heat. Bring to a boil. Take pan off heat and stir in flour. Return pan to medium heat and stir continuously until mixture forms a ball, about 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer flour mixture to a medium bowl.
2. Using an electric hand mixer on low speed, add eggs, one at a time, incorporating each egg completely before adding the next. Beat until smooth. Add grated apple and stir to combine. If not frying immediately, cover with plastic wrap and reserve in refrigerator.
3. Combine whipping cream, 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar and cinnamon in medium bowl. Whip until medium soft peaks form. Transfer whipping cream to serving dish.
4. Meanwhile, pour enough oil into a large frying pan to reach a depth of 2 inches. Heat oil over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 325°F.
5. Using a small ice-cream scooper or 2 small spoons, carefully drop about a rounded tablespoon of dough into hot olive oil. Turn zeppole once or twice, and cook until golden and puffed up, about 4 minutes. Fry zeppole in batches so as not to overcrowd pan. Drain on paper towels.
6. Transfer zeppole to a serving dish and sprinkle with powdered sugar using a small sieve. Serve with cinnamon whipped cream alongside for dipping.
Yield 4 servings
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis – As seen on “Everyday Italian” in episode “Apres Ski.”
SOURCE: Bella Sera
Click here for more tasty recipes from the At Home Style blog.
by Jeanne Slaughter, Chesapeake Family’s Marketing Manager and Resident Foodie.