Forget about delivery pizza – make your own fresh and flavorful creations for a fantastic family pizza night sure to bring everyone together at the table.
At Home Style: Classic Pizza Margherita
* 1 package refrigerated pizza dough
* 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
* 1 package Johnsonville Mild Italian Sausage
* 1/2 medium red onion, minced
* 1 tablespoon parsley, minced
* 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
* 1 tablespoon oregano
* 8 Roma tomatoes, sliced (divided – save 10 slices for the top)
* 10 fresh basil leaves (divided)
* 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
* 1 cup fontina cheese, shredded
* Pepper and sea salt
* 1/2 cup fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Position oven rack on lowest shelf and preheat to 425°F. Lightly oil a pizza pan. Roll out dough as thin as possible. Let rest 10 minutes.
2. In small skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high, add sausage and cook until browned. Remove from skillet, cool slightly and coin slice. In the same pan, sauté onion and parsley to golden, then stir in garlic and oregano for a few seconds. Add tomatoes to pan, crushing them as they are mixed (do not substitute crushed tomatoes). Boil, stirring 5 minutes or until thick.
3. Spread sauce over crust, sprinkle with half the basil, mozzarella, fontina, sausage, remaining slices of tomatoes and finally remaining olive oil. Finish with generous pepper and a little sea salt. Bake for 10 minutes.
4. Using a spatula and an oven mitt, slip pizza off pan directly onto oven rack, bake for two minutes. Slip pizza back onto pan, remove from oven. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and remaining fresh basil. Cut and enjoy.
Serves 4 to 6
For more ways to do pizza night right, visit www.Johnsonville.com.
For more tasty holiday treats visit our our At Home Style blog here.
|By Jeanne M. Slaughter Chesapeake Family’s resident foodie.|