A child’s life is busy. From the minute a child wakes up, his or her day is full to the brim with “occupations,” or in other words, important daily activities such as eating, dressing, grooming, playing, learning, and socializing. Each child has skills that come naturally and others that are trickier to acquire. When an age-appropriate skill does not come naturally, and leads to frustration, tears or general dysfunction at home, school or in community life, it is time to seek some help. Occupational therapists work with children and their families to help them master the skills that they are having trouble with.
Here are just a few examples of when it is appropriate to seek an occupational therapy evaluation:
• Your child is experiencing difficulty acquiring age-appropriate fine motor skills, such as using utensils or handwriting.
• Your child seems uncoordinated and lacks gross motor skills.
• Your child has difficulty playing with other children.
• Your child is very sensitive to loud noises or other senses, such as touch.
• Your child is very emotional and finds it difficult to manage changes in routines
• Your child fidgets and moves around a lot, making it difficult to maintain focus and attention, especially in school.
More specifically occupational therapy can be beneficial for children with Autism Spectrum Disorders, Sensory Processing disorders, ADHD, Cerebral Palsy and developmental delays, for further information please Click Here
OT is a ‘doing’ therapy. If you were a fly on our clinic wall you would see us jumping, climbing, throwing, catching, twirling, pushing, pulling, bouncing, swinging, popping, snipping and chopping, all with the intention of reaching your child’s goals.
At Blossom Pediatric Occupational Therapy we provide occupational therapy services to children, and their families. I believe it is essential to tailor therapy to the individual needs of the child and his or her family.
If you have any concerns regarding your child please do not hesitate to contact us at www.blossomOT.com or call Katie on 240-421-3154.
Content provided by Blossom Pediatric Occupational Therapy