September is National Child Passenger Safety Month and a good time to make sure your baby or child’s car seat is installed properly.
Each county in Central Maryland offers inspection stations or events to have your child’s seat checked. The car seat check is one of the best ways to determine if you are using your child’s car seat correctly, according to Maryland Kids in Safety Seats, which is part of the Maryland Department of Heath and Mental Hygiene. On average, almost 75 percent of all child safety seats inspected in Maryland are improperly installed or misused, according to KISS.
Here are some things to expect when attending a car seat check:
- If possible take your child so the technician can see how he or she fits in the seat. If you are unable to take your child, place a piece of tape on the car seat level with your child’s shoulders.
- Pre-install the car seat to the best of your ability. Read through your vehicle owner’s manual (car seat section) and car seat manual prior to the appointment. Bring all manuals with you that day.
- Be ready to fill out a form providing your name, address, the child’s name, weight, height and age; and the year, make, model and mileage of your car. Unless required by law, your personal information will be used for identification purposes and data collection only.
- Plan on spending approximately 30 minutes per car seat, to fully assess and learn how to use your child’s safety seat.
- Take a spouse, friend or relative to help keep an eye on your child while you are working with the technician to install your child safety seat.
- Ask questions and be prepared to be involved in the checking process.
Click next below for locations to get car seat checks