Breast cancer is a devastating disease that impacts countless people each year. Have you or your loved ones been affected by breast cancer? Here are some statistics on breast cancer from Susan G. Komen for the Cure.
• An estimated 125 women in 100,000 were diagnosed with invasive breast cancer in Maryland between 2005 and 2009.
• An estimated 25 women in 100,000 died from breast cancer in Maryland between 2005 and 2009.
• Most breast cancers and breast cancer deaths occur in women aged 50 and older.
• It is estimated that there will be 232,340 new cases of invasive breast cancer among U.S. women by the end of 2013.
• Breast cancer occurs in men too. In 2010, an estimated 1.3 men in 100,000 were diagnosed in the U.S.
Want to learn about some brave moms who cared for their kids while battling cancer? Read the first installment of our Maryland Moms on Surviving Cancer feature here.