Casseroles are a terrific way to make a one-dish meal that satisfies the entire family. This baked spaghetti adds a bit of extra cheesiness in layers in the dish, in addition to ground beef to make a hearty dinner. You can easily prep this a day ahead before baking if you’re short on time in the evenings, though this takes just an hour, start to finish, including the time to bake. Add 15 minutes to the cook time if you’re cooking the completed dish straight from the fridge, and cover with foil for the first 20 minutes of baking.
Cook time: 35 minutes
- Nonstick spray
- 1 package (16 ounces) thin spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (28 ounces) petite diced tomatoes with liquid
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushrooms, drained
- 1 can (2 1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained (optional)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 cups Borden Cheese Mild Cheddar Shreds
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Heat oven to 350 F.
Spray 9-by-13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray. Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain.
In large, nonstick skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat until hot. Saute onion and pepper until tender. Add ground beef and cook until beef has browned; drain.
Stir in tomatoes, mushrooms, olives and oregano. Bring to boil and reduce heat to medium. Simmer 10 minutes.
Place half of spaghetti in prepared baking dish. Top with half of vegetable-meat mixture. Sprinkle with half of cheddar cheese. Repeat layers.
Combine soup with water; pour over casserole. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Bake uncovered 30-35 minutes, or until thoroughly heated.
Recipe courtesy of Borden
Click here for more easy family recipes.