Looking for a way to get your kids to try broccoli? Top it with tater tots! This fun veggie side dish recipe will have even your pickiest eater giving cruciferous veggies (this includes broccoli, cauliflower, kale, and cabbage, and can sometimes taste bitter to younger eaters) a try. After preparing a Parmesan cheese sauce, you’ll toss the broccoli (and cauliflower if you like) with a bit of Cheddar and of course, Tater Tots! It may not be haute cuisine, but it’s family-friendly and a fun addition to your dinner routine. Great for a crowd, you can prepare the full recipe then divide it in half into smaller baking dishes, freezing one for later Enjoy your tots!
Cheesy Broccoli Tater-Topped Casserole
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 55 minutes
- 2 package (16 ounces) frozen broccoli florets, thawed (can sub cauliflower, or use half cauliflower, half broccoli)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Perfect Pinch Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Garlic Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 4 ounces (1/2 package) cream cheese, cubed
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 pound frozen fried potato tots
Preheat oven to 400-degrees F. Cut up any large broccoli florets into bite-size pieces. Set aside.
Melt butter in large skillet on medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir about 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour, Italian seasoning, garlic salt and pepper. Add milk; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add cream cheese and Parmesan cheese; cook and stir until cream cheese is melted. Add broccoli; toss gently to coat. Spoon into 2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with Cheddar cheese and top with potato tots.
Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until heated through and potato tots are golden brown and crispy.
Recipe adapted from McCormick
Click here for more easy family recipes.