In the middle of a heat wave, you know you’re going to want some ice cream! You can up your ice cream game though and make a fancy dessert without a ton of effort. This recipe turns your ice cream into a frozen bar cookie-type dessert. Be sure to soften your ice cream a bit to help it smooth out more easily once the oatmeal cookie is baked and cooled. Freeze time after assembly is a must, or else you’ll just have a puddle of melty ice cream. Of course, because you’ll need to freeze before serving, this is the perfect make-ahead dish too. Enjoy!
Cherry Vanilla Ice Cream Crumble
Prep time: 25 minutes
Freeze time: at least 8 hours
Makes: 9 servings
- 1 cup old fashioned oats (rolled oats)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen dark sweet cherries, thawed and well drained
- 1/3 cup all fruit black cherry fruit spread
- 4 cups Blue Bunny Sweet Freedom Cherry Vanilla Ice Cream, softened
In medium bowl, combine oats, flour, brown sugar and butter; mix thoroughly. Remove 1/2 cup and set aside; pour remaining crumb mixture in an 8-by-8-inch baking dish.
Coarsely chop cherries and transfer to medium bowl. Add fruit spread, stirring to blend. Pour over crust, gently spreading evenly in bottom. Spoon ice cream over top, gently spreading evenly. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
Cover and freeze at least 8 hours. Cut into squares to serve.
Recipe courtesy of Blue Bunny Ice Cream