Incorporating more meal-type salads into your week can lighten your dinner load and give your family the chance to customize their dinners, without forcing you to cook different meals for everyone. Plus, they’re healthy too! Add the ingredients you like, and even incorporate more, but be sure to make the dressing yourself. It will be way tastier than something that is processed and loaded with preservatives. A bit of shredded Mexican blend cheese, salsa, or even a few tortilla chips will help make this a complete meal.
Chicken Burrito Salad
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 1 small head romaine lettuce, torn into small pieces
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (10 ounces) chicken breast chunks, drained and flaked, or leftover rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1 can (10 ounces) corn kernels, drained
- 1 can (4.25 ounces) diced green chilies, drained
- 1 can (2.2 ounces) sliced ripe black olives, drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
Salad: In large platter or individual bowls, place lettuce leaves. Top with brown rice, black beans, diced tomatoes, chicken, corn, green chilies and black olives.
Dressing: In small bowl, combine lime juice and cilantro; whisk in olive oil. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Drizzle dressing over salad.
Click here for more easy family recipes.