Maryland and crab. I know, I know…it can be a bit cliche. But with a pound of crab on my hands and some leftover sandwich rolls from Christmas dinner, I did a little mixing and mashing and came up with these delightful morsels of tastiness. For your holiday (or everyday) pleasure, I present to you super-simple, pull-together-in-a-flash Crab Melts. Your family will eat ’em up!
- 1 pound crab (I used lump), picked-over
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 3 scallions, white and green part, thinly sliced
- 2-3 large ciabatta rolls, cut in half horizontally, though English muffins also work well and you’ll make more
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 avocado, sliced
Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
In a large bowl, mix together mayonnaise, Dijon, scallion, and Old Bay. Add crab and fold gently to combine.
Place ciabatta rolls on a baking sheet. Divide crab mixture evenly among the cut ciabatta rolls. Top with slices of avocado. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
Bake for 15 minutes, then remove baking sheet from oven. Turn oven to broil, and place crab melts under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and beginning to brown. Serve immediately.