No doubt, as January rears its resolution-filled head, you’re thinking about incorporating more fruits and veggies not just into your diet, but your kids’ as well. This fun fruit and veggie salad is just the thing to give the little guys a visual treat at the table. Using clementines keeps things sweet, echoed by the touch of sweetness brought by the honey in the dressing. No matter what, your kids will have fun assembling and eating this quick and easy snack!
- 1 Cuties clementine
- 9-10 thinly sliced strips red bell pepper, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 grape tomato (or can substitute a grape, also cut in half)
- 1 celery stick, cut to 3 inches
- 2 small leaves romaine lettuce
- 1 piece English cucumber, unpeeled, seeded and cut to 1 1/2 inches then thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Peel clementine and separate sections almost all the way, leaving attached at the base. Place on plate with base down. Place piece of red bell pepper between each citrus section, and half tomato in center to form flower.
Place celery and lettuce leaves underneath as stem and leaves. Arrange cucumber slices below to represent grass.
In small bowl, stir together yogurt, honey and lemon juice.
Serve dip in dish alongside flower, or in a mound underneath cucumber slices.
Nutritional information per serving: 76 calories; 0.5 g total fat; (0.3 g saturated fat, 0.2 g poly fat); 4 g protein; 15 g carbohydrates; 2 g fiber; 2 mg cholesterol; 21 mg sodium.
Recipe courtesy of Ellie Krieger