- Perimeter Trail, Kinder Farm Park, Millersville
- Lake Trail, Centennial Park, Columbia
- Nature Trail, Robinson Nature Center, Columbia
- Marsh Edge Trail, Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge, Cambridge
- Buzzards Rock Trail, Patapsco State Park, Catonsville
- Brown Trail, Jug Bay Natural Area, Upper Marlboro
- Harness Creek Trail, Quiet Waters Park, Annapolis
- Trail to the beach, Flag Ponds Nature Park, Lusby
By Karen Stysley
Brigid Wethington doesn’t go easy on her kids—at least where hiking is concerned. When the Columbia resident takes her daughter, 7, and her son, almost 4, on hikes in the Maryland area, they may find themselves going over a suspension bridge and under a tunnel before climbing up to a boulder at the edge of a big drop.
“I tend to push my kids a little bit on what they can do,” Wethington says. But along the way, they get more than just a workout and some pretty views. Out there without their technology, relying on each other for help, they get a “little mini vacation,” she says, since “hiking is definitely a bonding moment.”
While rising to the challenge, Wethington, her husband, and their kids learn to encourage each other and keep each other safe.
“As a family it’s just something we do. We all enjoy it. We all feel connected when we get in the car [after a hike]. We’re all on the same team, team Wethington,” she says.
Click Next to read more about these 8 great family hikes.