March 14th is Pi day! 3/14 corresponds to the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter (3.1415926535.) Pi day gives all of us nerds a ton of reasons to Pi out with puns and eat pie. Below we have some local places celebrating Pi Day with special offerings as well as some awesome pie recipes you can make at home.
Locally Made Pies for Pi Day!
Bakers & Co.
618 Chesapeake Ave., Annapolis
- Classic Apple You are the apple in my Pi…a bounty of sweet and tart apples, they like to cover the circumference.
- Sour Cherry A favorite! The perfect ratio of tart to sweet.
- Blueberry & Rhubarb Eureka! We think Archimedes would approve of this delightful combination of Blueberries and Spring Rhubarb!
208 Ridgely Ave., Annapolis
Great Harvest in West Annapolis is making Tollhouse Pies and Mocha Cookie Pies next weekend (3/11-3/13, they are not open on Sunday). They are selling them as a whole pie and by the slice.
- Tollhouse Pie – think of it as a giant gooey chocolate chip cookie with walnuts. Sometimes called a Derby Pie
- Mocha Cookie Pie – a variation on our Tollhouse Pie BUT with coffee emulsion and chocolate chips (no nuts). Oh so yummy!
Pam over at Great Harvest suggests adding vanilla ice cream to either and Voila, the perfect pie to celebrate Pi! Follow them at @greatharvestannapolis.
1364 Cape Saint Claire Rd., Annapolis
Chocolate Mousse Cake, key lime, strawberry shortcake, mud pie, pecan pie, carrot cake, coconut cream pie, coconut Cake, Baileys Irish chocolate cake and turtle cheesecake are all available. Made in house. Follow them at @broadneckgrill.
South County Cafe
5960 Deale Churchton Rd., Deale
South County Cafe will be running a special for $2 off any pie or you have the option of buying a slice of pie for $1 with the purchase of a meal. Follow them at @southcounty_cafe.
Dangerously Delicious Pies
212 West Street, Annapolis (Also has locations in Baltimore and DC)
Dangerously Delicious Pies offers us some of the most delicious pies around on a daily basis. This year on Pi Day they are announcing that they will be extending their hours starting next week. Starting next Tuesday they will be open 10am to 7pm Tuesday through Thursday, 10am to 8pm Friday and Saturday and 10am to 5pm on Sundays. We will remain closed on Mondays.
They will also be rolling out their “Date Night Special” which will run every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings from 4pm until 7pm. The Date Night Special includes two slices of savory pie, two slices of sweet pie and two non-alcoholic drinks for $26. Beer and wine will remain extra.
Want to make your own pie? Try one of these great pie recipes to get your fill on Pi Day.
- Nutella Cheesecake
- Swedish Apple Pie
- Easy Triple Chocolate Layer Pie
- Spice Cake Whoopie Pie
- No Bake Peanut Butter Pie
And just for good measure we couldn’t leave you without a Pi joke…
Why should you never talk to pie?
Because he’ll go on forever.