Gayle's Country-Style Steak
from Cheap. Fast. Good.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 lbs. round steak
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix
1. Place flour, salt and pepper in medium-size brown paper bag. Fold top over to close and shake to mix.
2. Heat oil in extra-deep 12" skillet over medium heat.
3. While oil is heating, trim any excess fat from steak and cut into 3-4" wide pieces. Place steak pieces in bag and shake vigorously to coat well.
4. Place steak in skillet and cook each side until meat is lightly browned around edges, about 4-5 minutes.
5.While steak cooks, prepare gravy mix with whisk.
6. When steak is lightly browned on both sides, pour gravy over it. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until steak falls apart when pierced with fork, about 1-1 1/2 hours. If gravy gets too thick, just add water.
7. Serve immediately.