If there’s ever a year for a good summer book, this is it. And that goes for our kids, too!
To keep your kids on the reading track, Anne Arundel County Public Library (AACPL) has launched Imagine Your Story, its 2020 Summer @ Your Library program. The free program features virtual concerts, performances and storytimes for people of every age and will run until August 31. This year marks the first time all the program’s performances and events will be held virtually.
The virtual programs are designed to build lifelong readers of all ages and to help children keep their reading skills sharp while having fun. Participants who meet the challenge will also have a chance to win prizes including a Harry Potter Lego set, a Yeti gift pack, an artist gift pack, a set of castle blocks or a Chromebook.
Kids will be challenged to read for 20 minutes a day or choose from the suggested activities like reading to a family member or pet, downloading an ebook, visiting a park, going to the library, or watching a movie on Kanopy. Kids can check off each day on a printable calendar or log activity in Beanstack. After 25 challenges are done, kids can turn in their log at a local branch for a completion prize and entry ticket into the larger prize drawings.
Libraries across the county will also offer a variety of special programs on Zoom as part of the initiative including:
- Books! Magic Wow Workshop—Popular magician Joe Romano will share his mind-blowing magic act stressing the importance of reading.
- Sound Tales—Kids will enjoy stories, songs and sounds that spark their imagination, made 100 percent by the human voice.
- ScienceTellers Dragons: Return of the Ice Sorceress—This fantasy adventure features the science of dry ice effects while telling a story from long ago.
- 123 Andrés Bilingual Family Beats—The Latin Grammy-winning duo of Christina and Andrés are bringing their bilingual tunes and irresistible beats to get your family up, moving and laughing.
- Uncle Devin’s Animal Madness—Enjoy this interactive musical experience which is a dynamic cross between DC’s Trouble Funk and Schoolhouse Rock.
- Arianna Ross | The Fastest Plane: An Imaginary Journey Around the World and Beyond—Explore the world through fairy tales, myths and fantastical adventures. Dance, laugh, and play through Brazil, America, Mexico, Indonesia, Egypt or India.
- Kofi Dennis—Learn by interactive African games and storytelling. Plus, explore some favorite children’s literature, with lots of drumming, singing and dancing!
For a complete list of programs and events for the Summer @ Your Library, visit the system’s website at aacpl.net/summer.
More articles you might like: