Every business values its customers and wants to maintain good relationships with them to ensure future sales. But over the last few years it has become harder than ever for a business to stay in touch with current and prospective customers. People are still engaged with traditional marketing outlets but have added email, websites, web search, FaceBook, Twitter and other social media sites. And on top of all that our phones are now mini computers and iPads, Kindles and Nooks are competing for our attention. What’s a business owner to do to make sure that their message can be seen on all devices?
Over the past five years customer email addresses have become the new gold currency as a reliable way to correspond. Some businesses claim 50-60% open rates when they email their most ardent fans. Enter Smart Phones. Up to 65% of business owners claim to read their emails on a Smart Phone and that number is only going to increase.
How does your email look on a Smart Phone? Does your nicely formatted newsletter, complete with photos, translate on a Smart Phone? Mitch Eisen, President of Real Magnet – Email and Event Marketing ,specializes in email marketing and makes the following suggestions to help increase the readability of emails on Smart Phones.
Emails need special optimization to open on a phone, consider using the following:
- All emails need to have the “click here option” for online or mobile viewing at or very near the top of the email that links readers to the appropriately formatted copy.
- Use banner images sparingly.
- Leave space between links (for fat fingers).
- Images and tables should be less than 300 px wide.
- One column width is best.
- Font should be greater or equal to 12 px.
The point is to get people to read your marketing and to make it easy to access on whatever platform they are using.