If your kids like a good hunt, then geocaching is a great activity for your family.
Geocaching is a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game using a GPS or a phone with a GPS app. Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the cache (container) hidden at that location.
How to play
At its simplest level, geocaching requires these 8 steps:
- Register for a free Basic Membership.
- Visit the “Hide & Seek a Cache” page.
- Enter your postal code and click “search.”
- Choose any geocache from the list and click on its name.
- Enter the coordinates of the geocache into your GPS Device.
- Use your GPS device to assist you in finding the hidden geocache.
- Sign the logbook and return the geocache to its original location.
- Share your geocaching stories and photos online.
What are the rules?
- If you take something from the geocache (or “cache”), leave something of equal or greater value.
- Write about your find in the cache logbook.
- Log your experience at www.geocaching.com.
Check out an article on geocaching with kids.
Read more about geocaching at a nearby location.
Check out more fun family happenings in our complete events calender.
Photo by Scott Cech