I make this mixed berry pie, my mom’s favorite, every Thanksgiving. The cranberries are really the star of this show and make for the perfect tart to sweetness ratio.
by Jenny Patrick Cardoza
SEREVES 06 | PREP 10 MINUTES
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 TB lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 TB cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3-1/2 cup water
- 4 cups frozen mixed berries (I used a combo of blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries)
- Pie Crust (we love Trader Joes piecrust)
- 1 egg, beaten
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the cranberries, lemon juice, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Pour in 1/3 cup water.
- Stir occasionally until the cranberries begin to burst and the mixture is thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the frozen berries for about two more minutes, or until softened; add additional water if the mix is too thick, though you do want it fairly thick so that it will set in the pie.
- Cool for ten minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Meanwhile, roll the dough into the pie pan, up the sides, pinching the edges.
- Pour in the cold berry mixture.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until the filling is bubbly and the crust is golden brown.
- *Check it around 35 minutes, and if the edges are getting too dark, cover them with foil.