The average American family does 8 –10 loads of laundry each week, according to the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers. When you‘re spending that much time in a laundry room, there’s no reason to settle for a drab space.
Whether your laundry is in the basement, the upper floors or off the kitchen, why not turn it into a multifunctional space – perfect for hobbies and crafts. With a bit of creativity and the addition of lighting specifically designed for each area, you can create the perfect setting for any task.
First, define and enclose the space for your washer and dryer with curtains. Add shelves above them and fill baskets with your detergent, presoaks, dryer sheets and other laundry supplies.
Bring in a 5 to 8 foot table, as space allows, and set it up for your crafting area The table can do double duty for folding laundry or even gift wrapping. Personalize the room with your choice of chair, pictures and rug.
Lighting this room can be functional and fun. Why not switch out your overhead light fixture for a funky thrift store chandelier? Use decorative bulbs to provide the room’s ambient light. For over the laundry area, the lighting experts at GE recommend using flood lamps with a rare earth element baked into the glass for a broad beam of light that brings out the true colors in the clothes being sorted – helping you separate the blues from the blacks. The work table should include a goose neck lamp or desk light equipped with a halogen bulb for bright crisp light.
For more information about choosing the right light bulb or for tips on lighting avariety of rooms in your home, visit gelighting.com.
Courtesy of Family Features
- Define space for washer/dryer
- Surround area with drapes or decorative curtains for a softer look
- Allow 1’ space between curtain and appliances for fire safety
- Above washer and dryer, use floodlights
- Add shelving and cabinets above appliance area to take advantage of space
- Use decorative baskets to organize laundry items
- Create a workspace for hobbies, gift wrapping and laundry folding by adding a large table and wall cabinet
- Hang decorative curtain rods above table to hold wrapping paper
- Personalize the room with a chair, chandelier, pictures and rug
- Use decorative bulbs in chandelier
- Add lighting fixture for tabletop task lighting
- Use halogen bulb for task lighting for hobbies and crafts
- Valance and valance rods
- Shelving and brackets
- Decorative baskets
- Large wooden table
- Wall cabinet with door
- Decorative curtain rods (to hold wrapping paper)
- Hooks to hold decorative rods
- Wrapping paper and ribbons
- Chair, pictures, rug
- Chandelier (or any other type of decorative light fixture)
- Tabletop task light with adjustable swing-arm
- GE Edison halogen bulb (60-watt recommended)
- GE Revealfloodlights (PAR38, 75-watt recommended)
- GE Reveal decorative bulbs for chandelier (40-watt recommended)