Today is a beautiful day for a day trip, so head to Historic St. Mary’s City and dive into Maryland’s history.
Wander through the site of Maryland’s first capital and see it as it was centuries ago. There are tons of things for the family to learn about in the city. While you’re there, be sure to:
- Visit the Maryland Dove, a replica of a tall ship that carried colonists to America.
- Check out the shops in the center of town and see what the settlers were buying, what a hotel looked like and who was printing the news.
- Visit the native Yaocomaco village and see how these people lived and flourished off of the land.
- Explore the Godiah Spray Tobacco Plantation and learn about the food and medicine that was grown there 350 years ago.
- Go to St. John’s Museum to find out what it takes to be an archaeologist and how you piece together evidence of the past to tell a story.
Costumed interpreters bring the historic area to life, and offer insight and information about the city to visitors. This is a great day trip to learn more about Maryland’s history in an exciting way.
Start at the visitor’s center to plan your day so you don’t miss anything. You can visit the Historic St. Mary’s City website to learn more about exhibits and events.