The 14-year wait for the most anticipated animated sequel of all time was worth it! The Incredibles 2 has dominated the box office with an $180 million opening, the most an animated film debut has ever made.
The Incredibles 2 is a superhero flick the whole family will enjoy. The film begins where The Incredibles left off and immediately gets into the crime-fighting action. The film features both new characters and familiar characters such as Frozone, Edna Mode, the Underminer, and our favorite family of supers, the Incredibles. The previous film focused on Mr. Incredible, and this time the plot focuses on his wife, Elastigirl, and how she and other superheroes want to make themselves legal again in a world that became afraid of superheroes ever since some unfortunate mishaps occurred. It’s up to Elastigirl to change that, but she will have to defeat some new villains while she is at it.
If you’re a Pixar fan, you’re probably familiar with the fact that the creators of these films like to hide Easter eggs in them. Not literal eggs, but hidden references in the films for you to look for, such as the Pizza Planet truck from Toy Story that appears in many Pixar films. The Incredibles 2 is full of Easter eggs. Some are references to other Pixar films. Others are references to non-Pixar animation – like Johnny Quest, and classic films such as Poltergeist, which starred Craig T. Nelson, and the early Francis Ford Coppola film Dementia113, (two references in one – I would call that a double yolk egg!)
I don’t want to spoil the eggs for you so to speak, but here are a few of my favorites. Keep an eye (and ear!) out for the following:
- John Ratzenberger, providing a voice in his 20th Pixar film!
- The Pixar ball – the small yellow ball with the blue stripe and red star.
- “A113” was a California Institute of the Arts classroom frequented by Brad Bird, John Lasseter, and many other graphic design and character animation students. A113 has made its way into every single one of Pixar’s movies and can be spotted multiple times in The Incredibles 2.
- Chinese-food containers can be spotted throughout the Pixar universe, previously making cameos in A Bug’s Life, Toy Story 2, Ratatouille, and Inside Out.
- The Pizza Planet truck – which has made an appearance in every Pixar film, with the exception of the original Incredibles.
The Incredibles 2 will not disappoint. It has plenty of action, humor, and characters that you will love and you’ll want to see the film again and again!
Matt Heid is a self described Disnerd, Star Wars fanatic, and a digital arts major at Stetson University. He is also a summer intern for Chesapeake Family Life. You can follow his Disney adventures on his Instagram page, Imagineer999.