Private elementary school search tips
Christine Schaaf, director of marketing and advancement at Chesapeake Academy in Arnold added these tips specifically for choosing a private elementary school.
1. Make a list of priorities in order of importance. Some items you may want to include:
• Class size
• Special subjects – language, technology, art, theater
• Faculty experience level
• Additional staff such as learning specialists, guidance counselors
• Learning Services Department
• Sports program
• Before/after school program
• After school actitivies
• Learning facility
• Athletic fields/outdoor play areas
• Tuition and fees
2. Meet with the admissions director and tour school while classes are in session as well as attending an open house.
3. Make an appointment for your child to shadow (spend the day at the school)
4. Speak to current parents about their school experience.
6. Things to consider:
• Is the curriculum tailored to each student?
• Is there a character education plan?
• How are students academically evaluated?
• Opportunities for parent involvement and collaboration.
• Can you picture your family as a member of the school’s community?